Saturday, January 14, 2012

Traditions!

Today was my first paid day at work. I was given instructions to be at Disney University at 1:45. I had been given some advice and guidance as to what to expect. Disney University is a really big building. There is a credit union, security center, cafeteria, and a lot of office space. On the second floor are several classrooms. This is where my traditions class was held.

I had two instructors. The first guys name was Brett. He was the main instructor, and he led my tour in the Magic Kingdom. The other guy really didn't make much of an impression on me. He was kinda annoying. Like seminary teacher annoying. He made such a little impression on me that I can't even remember the guys name.

Disney is a pretty interesting organization. Obviously their first priority is to protect and grow the investments of their stockholders. I thought they did a good job at making that point clear. They spent most of the time explaining how they do this. We do this by creating happiness. It's a simple phrase, but I really agree with it. Our job is to create experiences for our guests. They could be guests at the resorts, guests on the cruise lines, guest at the movies, and guests in their living rooms/homes enjoying our entertainment. And really, who doesn't want to be entertained?

When I worked at Walmart, the company management worked very hard to hide the fact that they make $300 Billion in sales every year. They minimize the experience of their customers. I really liked the approach that Disney takes with their employees on their first day.

I still don't know which park(s) I'll be working in, what I'll be doing, or any kind of schedule. I hope to get more information tomorrow.

And, Florida water is gross. Just wetting your toothbrush to brush your teeth you can taste it. It's really unpleasant.

1 comment:

  1. I told you the water was gross! I have no idea why but it is awful!

    ReplyDelete